Saturday, July 9, 2016

Life is too short to drink cheap plonk.

That's it.  I am done.  I am so done.

I am not buying any more blended "bottled in Canada" wine.  From hereon in, I'm sticking with the good stuff, made from grapes actually grown here.

This evening I was indulging one of My more delightful hobbies -- cooking -- and currently have a Moroccan lamb stew finishing in a cast iron Dutch oven on the stove.  It needed that something extra, a bit of orange juice and a few scrapings of orange rind, and I had also been making noises about going to the Liquor Commission to pick up a bottle of red wine.

Somewhere between getting the car out of the garage and arriving at the LC I made the above resolution to support better products from Canadian wineries.  What sealed the deal was memories of college 40 years ago, when the usual wine served at parties came in gallon jugs and was served in clear plastic cups.  To this day I refer to the contents of those gallon jugs as "Chateau de Ping-Pong."

No, I think I can do better.  I know I can do better.  (pours a glass of baco noir, takes a sip, and sets it aside to breathe till the stew is ready)  Skál!


No comments: